Tuesday, February 9, 2010

What are You Afraid of?


When I was in high school, I saw my first vampire movie. For the next 3 years, I wore a cross around my neck, put homemade crosses on every corner of my bed, and one on the window.

Obviously, this kid is not a real vampire. Although, he might bite if provoked. Really, it's my nephew Luke at his 8th birthday party.

Over the past year, I've been afraid to send manuscripts to publishers. I wasn't consciously aware of this fear. In my mind, I was just busy writing plays and illustrating books.

Then it hit me, I was holding onto several newly completed book projects. The only reason I could imagine for not sending them to prospective buyers was because I feared another rejection.

Rejection is a BIG part of the creative person's life. This is why it's so important to love what you do.

After a certain number of rejections, I think one needs a break. Now, I've had mine.

This month, I completed a new picture book manuscript. I polished it up and sent it off to my publisher last night. I'm back on track. I feel brave again. I'm ready to work on the next book project and to send out the ones that I've already completed.

Okay, I'll probably get rejected on some or all of these projects, but maybe I won't. I was never actually bitten by a real vampire.

Eleanor Roosevelt said, "Do one thing everyday that scares you."

I'm working to live up to that.

1 comment:

  1. Lucas saw his photo and announced "Now I'm famous,... am I famous?" Of course I answered - "Yes, you are!" (I was surprised that he was okay with the picture - I just can't quite figure him out - which makes him so fun to live with!!! ha!) But, keeping his secrets are very important - he still tells me how he will never tell his secrets to one of his friends - ever again! Fortunately - I redeemed myself and he's back to confiding in me! (it was a good lesson for me - as a mom we love to share our "cute" stories about our kids - but, no matter how cute a secret is - KEEP it a secret. HOPING come teenage years that I'm still a confidante! SWEET Valentine's Day!!!

    ReplyDelete