Saturday, February 6, 2010

What is Your Carrot?


Just like the person who hangs a carrot in front of the donkey to get him to move forward...I place a bag of cookies on my kitchen table as the motivator to get my work done.

Whenever I have a big deadline, whether a script or an illustration project, I place cookies on the kitchen table...which is about 5-7 steps from my work area...okay...my house is tiny.

I can only take one cookie at a time...

So, let's say I'm working on a script...I write a bit...get up and get a cookie...eat it as I look over what I've written...then write some more...then get up for another cookie...and usually by the time I've finished the last Geneva in the Pepperidge Farm bag...the story is complete...

For me, the cookies are my carrot...they keep me continually moving forward...every time I move to get a cookie...my eyes get a fresh look on my work because I've moved...my focus stays alert because I want to get more work done so I can have another cookie...

I have multiple 'carrot' tricks that I use to get work done...but this cookie way is by far the sweetest.

Okay, time to finish my new book project...better place cookies on my table.


I'd love to hear what 'carrots' work for you.






1 comment:

  1. "Carrot tricks" great idea! (They call this bribing when I use it on the kids - ha)

    ReplyDelete