Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Mr. Pilcher - 7th Grade Geography Teacher

#89 in the 100 Mouse Project
As soon as I finished drawing this picture, I thought of my 7th grade Geography teacher, Mr. Pilcher.

Why?

I was late almost every day in 7th grade. And, I would have to go to him to buy my lunch ticket.

He never got mad at me. Just told me to do better.

He was a great man with a calm, humorous attitude...who in the middle of his geography lessons told us about living in other countries and stories from Greek mythology.

True, I don't know how much geography I learned in his class...I wasn't the best listener back then...but I always heard the personal stories he told about his travels...and the Greek mythology he shared.

When working with people, I understand that what they need or receive from me might not be what I'm officially there to share. They might need the extra things I share.

Just like I needed Mr. Pilcher to share the extras. The things that got me to pay attention. Those extras started my mind thinking of worlds beyond Kansas, and of fantastical stories of Greek gods and the people that believed in them.

Thank you Mr. Pilcher for being so fun and such a good example...and for never getting truly mad at me for being late.


No comments:

Post a Comment