Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Keep Walking through the Snowstorm


As I do the pre-pre-production for my new web series, I see more and more things that need to be done...
the treatment, the scripts, the storyboards, to say nothing of equipment, lining up actors, technical people, etc.

Projects get overwhelming...like really bad snowstorms where you have no idea what's around you.

In college, this happened to me. It snowed so heavily that all I could see was white. I walked up a hill knowing my class building was there. But I couldn't see anything. I couldn't hear anyone. I was freezing. The snow hurt my face. I was tired, scared, and sad. I wanted to give up and lay down in the snow. This seems really dramatic, I know, but it did seem hopeless.

But I kept walking, one step at a time. Trusting I would find my building...or a building...and I would be safe.

Sure enough...one slow step after another lead me to the building, to the class, to the teacher, who had canceled class because of the snowstorm.

Okay...getting to class turned out not to matter. What mattered was how the experience affected me. From that point on, I profoundly understood the importance of not giving up...of moving forward toward one's goals...one step at a time.

Right now, there is a snowstorm of work that has to be done before my web series will be complete. Most of what I have to do, I haven't even thought of yet.

I trust that if I keep walking forward handling each step as it comes, careful to not get overwhelmed by the whole of the journey, I will make it to my goal destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment