Monday, January 25, 2010

Who Are Your Heroes in Aging?



The truth is ... everyone who lives gets old.

So choose wisely your examples of how to handle aging.

Do you want them to be people fearful of each new wrinkle? Or people who embrace the benefits of each new decade?

I've been lucky to have a mother who ages with no drama. And I don't underestimate the benefit of this.

Oh yes, I have a pretty mother, this is her in her late 40s - early 50s.

Being pretty, she could have obsessed over her looks and been afraid to get older. In turn, she would have set that example for me. But she didn't.

My mother has embraced each decade...gotten more confident, kept her lively sense of humor, focused her attentions on learning new things, working, taking care of family, volunteering, gardening, eating healthy, taking her vitamins and minerals...so now at 70, she's still in great shape, physical and mental, and having a good time.

Whenever I hear someone say, "oh no, I'm going to 30!" or "40" or "50," I think how lucky I am to have my mother who didn't place that drama of aging inside me.

Each new decade, each year, each day, provides endless possibilities.

When people ask if I would want to be younger, I always say "no, not a even a day," because my best life is now and ahead.

Thanks Mom!

1 comment:

  1. I always thought your mother was pretty. It's a blessing to have wise mothers to encourage us through each phase of our lives. :)

    Jeannette

    ReplyDelete