Friday, January 29, 2010

Be Kind to Yourself as Well as Others


Today, through the Behind the Book Program, I did a school visit in Queens with a delightful group of 3rd graders.

After reading aloud my book, "Not Afraid of Dogs," the students and I worked on writing a new story.

First, we came up with a list of possible main characters...dinosaur, snake, teenager, baby, adult, cat, dog, chicken. We finally agreed on a dog named Charlie.

I started to draw different kinds of dogs on the board so we could chose what Charlie looked like.

The dog shown here was one of the options.

As I began to draw this dog, one of the students said, "That looks like a chipmunk." To which a fellow student replied, "She's trying her best."

I loved that!
It was heartwarming and hilarious.

It made me think of how important it is to give each other credit for just trying things...and also to give ourselves credit for trying things.

Write, Draw, Paint, Act, Do Math, Fix Bicycles, Read History, Create Inventions, Make Films, and everything else that pops into your head because you love the idea of doing it and you want to try it.

Give yourself credit for trying and growing.

So many people in the world think of something they would love to try, then immediately shoot down their own desire with all the reasons they can't.

Be kind to yourself...support your dreams and the chances you take...as well as those of others.

When we try things, we set a good and brave example for others to try things...is there a better gift than that?

3 comments:

  1. Great blog on the human element! We must be brave! I have a quote in my office that reads, "Even going to sleep requires an act of faith that we will awaken." Love your thought process here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading all your blogs and I'll keep checking in!!! You have such a great way of writing that makes it effortless to read! Mom's photo is very very pretty! Mine - I look like a Farrah wanna be! ha! Luv ya sis!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont think it looks like a chipmunk...perhaps a groundhog , but not a chipmunk. Thanks for your compassion & support.

    ReplyDelete