Monday, July 30, 2012

Friends for Life

With My Niece, Sarah
Sarah is my niece. And, since she was a little girl, she's been one of my best friends.

When she was 4, I moved to New York City. Back then we spent hours on the phone planning parties...talking in great detail about every kind of food and drink we would serve, how we would decorate, and who we would invite.

Over the years, long conversations expanded into life, politics, religion, crafts, school, boys, clothes, and food - all the biggies. We may not always agree, however, we are always respectful of the other's opinions - keeping humor a part of every conversation.

Just like it was and is with my parents and siblings.

Years ago, I worried that I would miss Sarah being a little girl. However, I have found that I love each phase of her life as much as I loved the last.

That's how it is with life long friends. We may not always want them to change, still, we love the core of the person and we embrace who they become...and find we love them more.





No comments:

Post a Comment