Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Thrill of Fear


None of us would like to be thrown in a room with what we fear the most...or for me, thrown into a swimming pool with fish...my biggest fear.

Still, there is a thrill that comes from being in a safe place and taking quick peaks at what you fear. Like why I bought the book, "Fish of the World, A Collection of 19th Century Paintings," by H. Aramata, where this illustration came from.

The paintings are beautiful, imaginative drawings, great colors, lines...still, I can't look at it too long, my heart starts beating hard and my body feels jittery.

I peak at it. The same way I look through the National Geographic magazine with "Monsters from the Deep." Taking quick looks at very scary fish from the depths of the ocean.

Like most people, my biggest fears are very unlikely to come true. I'm often reminded that the fish I see in the world are on the other side of glass. And, if they did break out to attack me...jumping out of water would be their end...not mine.

This thinking requires logic. A skill we don't usually employ around our fears. However, logic is incredibly handy when we're ready to face those fears.

So, are you ready to go through the thrill of fear, muster up some logic...and come clean as to whether your fear is something you really need to worry about?

For me, as long as I don't trip and fall into a tank of very hungry guppies, I'm probably completely safe. : )

Click here to read about a "Seal with a Fish Phobia."

No comments:

Post a Comment