Sunday, March 6, 2011

Are You What You Chew?


This is my nephew, Lucas.

As a youngster, Lucas liked to put everything in his mouth...and I don't use 'everything' loosely. He was a chewer...the handles of the grocery cart, toys, arm rests on chairs, chicken bones, Barbie's Dream House. You think of it, he chewed it.

My sister wore herself out trying to keep him from chewing on things and out of watery places to play: like the toilet, mud puddles, and swamp areas. But he persisted and she, being an accepting mother, loved him all the same and trusted he would survive.

It turns out...he has the best immune system in his family.

I write this post in response to my sister Jennifer's recent letter telling me that everyone in their family is sick, except Lucas. She's wondering if all the above activities gave him a robust immune system. Scientific speculation says it might be.

What I do know is that his freedom to explore, to touch, taste, hear, smell, and see the world are what make him great. He's full of ideas and questions...always wanting to explore the senses...and coming up with new ideas and new ways of trying things.

When I attended to the University of Kansas, my photography professor, Pok Chi Lau, used to say, "Gargage in, garbage out." He wanted us to be mindful of the food and images we put into our body and mind. He believed what we took in would have a direct result on our work.

I'm looking forward to seeing what all Lucas' intake will produce. I'm sure it will be incredible.

What are you chewing on? What are you taking into your mind and body? Will it help you stay healthy and strong? Will it help you produce more wonderful things? Is there any real answer? Or only more questions?

1 comment:

  1. What a great story, Susanna!! It speaks to me for so many reasons!

    ReplyDelete