Monday, May 23, 2011

Fabric is a Great Medium

In preparation for the next stage of my tree branch...turning it into a piece of art...I washed a selection of cotton fabric scraps.

I'm going to wrap the branch in strips of fabric and then create leaves and flowers to 'grow' on it.

Sort of like recreating what it once was...only in fabric.

I used to wrap branches all the time when I lived in a big farmhouse in Kansas. I had a surplus of branches in my yard and a house big enough for little fabric covered trees to sprout everywhere.

The idea for wrapping things in fabric came from my friend K.T. Walsh, an incredible artist from Kansas.

One night we were sitting together at the thrift store she managed. After closing, she picked up a pile of stuff and started wrapped random items with fabric and making these incredible 'flowers." I loved the process and the product so much that I'm still doing it 15 years later.

K.T. has always created with objects at hand. I aspire to that myself. : )

It's a good way to live...knowing that really we always have what we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment