Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Real Reason I Can't Leave the Upper West Side

Mondel's Chocolates - Delicious!

It important for me to live within walking distance of a candy store selling handmade chocolates. Being that these establishments are limited, I feel quite lucky to live so close to Mondel's. They have been making fine chocolates for nearly 70 years.

My favorite: dark chocolate pecan turtles.
This is usually what I purchase for myself and give as gifts.
Sometimes, I push myself to try other candies, like a dark chocolate almond turtle or maybe a dark chocolate covered coconut candy...but usually, I stay with what I love the most - pecan turtles. I'm quite loyal that way. : )

Now, if only a delicious homemade bakery would move down the block.

I've very picky about my sweets, largely due to my taste buds being set on high standards as a child. I grew up in Concordia, Kansas, where we were fortunate enough to have "Lester's Sweet Shop" and "Longton's Bakery."

The owners of both these businesses made everything from scratch: the candy, donuts, cinnamon rolls, coffee cake, danishes, etc. All made by hand, not from packages, not frozen, no preservative ingredients. I know the people worked hard. They did all the jobs, made the sweets, sold the sweets, cleaned up after the sweets. I appreciate all the work they did...and, I appreciate their patience with children who took deciding which treat to purchase quite seriously.

As an adult, I have been on a constant quest to find true home-made candy stores and bakeries. Mondel's is close. They do do it all.

Here's wishing us all, homemade treats, made with real ingredients, no chemicals, no additives, no preservatives.

As my friend Karen's grandmother used to say, "You need a little sugar every day, so you stay sweet."

No comments:

Post a Comment