Sunday, May 29, 2011

Play Dead


Sarah and Bill, not sure when I'm going to take their picture
My niece, Sarah, has made it to New York at last! On her first night in New York City, Bill and I took her to see "Play Dead" down in the Village.

What a wonderful theatre experience. I've been blessed to have a few of those lately. All of them quite different. "Freud's Last Session," beautiful in it's realism, "Peter and Wendy" for its magic, "Play Dead" for its theatricality. All of them for their clear and brilliant writing, their amazing honest acting, and their visual perfection in setting.

"Play Dead" is a fun show...like being a kid again...waiting and wanting to be scared...and also having the adult brain that can understand the deeper implications of what's going on.

Todd Robbins is so comfortable, benevolent, and fun on stage that the audience is happily lead wherever he wants them to go.

This was a night of theatre that exceeded my expectations. As they all have lately. I'm not sure if it's because I'm in the mood for theatre or I've been lucky in my selections, or because I've avoided heavy dramas...which are the stinkers of my past experiences that make me long for that time and money back.

The last three shows, actually four, if you count, "Born Yesterday," which I should...have provided plenty to think on, as well as entertainment, humor, and beauty...ingredients that help us, as humans, survive the drama that is life.


Click here to read helpful and interesting information from Todd Robbins blog: Modern Con Man

No comments:

Post a Comment