Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Bittersweet Branch Story Continues


My Branch on its First Day in the Home - Sunday

Several days ago, I posted that I had salvaged a small tree from a wood pile in the park. I brought it home and anchored it to the head of my bed.

When I was anchoring the tree that first day, I thought of Christmas trees and how you need to keep them in water so they don't dry out.  I decided to do the same with my little felled tree.

I took a bread knife, my limited muscles, and sawed the end off of the truck. Then stuck the tree in a large can of water before anchoring it to the head of my bed.


The Same Branch Today - Wednesday

Sleeping under the tree has been magical. I love the knowledge that it's there when I go to sleep in the dark...and it's equally wonderful waking up and seeing the branches overhead.

This morning, I noticed that the buds were opening up. On further examination, I saw that little green leaves are springing forth.

Here's the bittersweet part. I am thrilled that leaves are blossoming onto this little tree. At the same time, it makes me sad. It reminds me that this little tree with all its great potential was cut down. It's technically dead.

I know this is the way with gardening. You have to weed out plants so that what's left can grow big and strong. Still, it's not what you want to happen. Especially if you're sensitive to the feelings of others.

I believe in creating win-win situations. But in nature is that possible? I don't see how. How can the mouse win, if the cat is hungry?

1 comment:

  1. If you look at nature in the big picture it does present as a win-win. but on an individual level its: "mouse gets eaten". so I guess its: win-loose-win-win. I love the pine tree near the NE corner of 108 & Amsterdamn...and you.

    ReplyDelete