Saturday, April 23, 2011

Homemade Chicken Pot Pie


"Our Own Chicken Pot Pie" - picture by Bill
 Chicken Pot Pie - the ultimate comfort food.

Bill (my partner) has been wanting chicken pot pie for quite awhile now. Rather than buy a frozen one, I opted to pull together the ingredients and make one ourselves.

First, I downloaded a recipe to use as a guide from allrecipes.com. I made sure to read all the helpful suggestions by previous cooks of the recipe...like, 'bake the bottom crust for 6 minutes before adding the center ingredients.'

Then I revised the recipe to remove the ingredients I didn't want...like peas...and add the ones I do like... potatoes, mushrooms, fresh corn, broccoli, and lots of extra onions.

Bill cut up most of the vegetables, while I got everything started.

We didn't make a homemade pie crust. I bought the Whole Foods brand pie crust. Oh my goodness! It is the most delicious pie crust I ever had. It's really not like pie crust. It's more like pastry. So, if you don't like a touch of sweet with your savory pie, then it wouldn't be the right crust for you. However, it was perfect for my taste buds.

Our chicken pot pie was a MAJOR cooking success. Hurrah! We have some leftover for tonight.

Tomorrow, I'm planning to make the German Chocolate Cake from my Magnolia Bakery Cookbook.

MMmmmmMMmm.

What's baking at your house?

1 comment:

  1. I made two coffee cakes this morning for church tomorrow - after sunrise service. One is a shoo-fly coffee cake (molasses with a crumb topping) and the other was a lemon-blueberry coffee cake. Made jalapeno mustard, and still have a batch of choc chip cookies to get made. The house still smells wonderful!

    ReplyDelete