Monday, April 4, 2011

Trees Growing in Impossible Places



The Tree Outside My Window
  After yesterday's blog post, I kept thinking of the last line..."trees growing in impossible places."

New York City is full of them. Trees growing in small squares of ground amidst cement and tall buildings.

Actually, almost every living thing in the City seems to be growing in an impossible space. From the hawks building their nests on tall Upper West Side buildings, to the parrots who set up a colony in Brooklyn, and the pine tree I saw today that had broken through cement at the bottom step to a basement and was winding its way up toward the sun.

It's the same for people. Our most pronounced growth seems to happen in impossible places during seemingly impossible times. I think because in those times we have little choice. When we feel trapped and forsaken, if we're lucky, some spark inside of us says, "I'm breaking out. I deserve better than this. I'm going to thrive and reach the sun."

As I look out my back window, I see the tree pictured. Several years ago, I watched it sprout from the ground one spring. Cement and tall buildings surround it. No one took care it. It pushed upward on its own reaching for the sun.

Now, this lovely tree is tall enough to shade my 4th story windows during the hot summer. It provides perches and food for the little birds that like to look in my window. This tree has improved my world in indescribable ways...most importantly as a symbol of persistence, endurance, and hope.

What are your symbols for hope?

No comments:

Post a Comment